Who needs an Energy Performance Certificate?

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Click here to read information on the status of Community Action Norfolk's Services. As well as links to other information and advice
This website uses cookies. You can read more about how we use your personal data in our Privacy Notice

The Energy Performance of Buildings (England and Wales) Regulations 2012 require that energy performance certificates (EPCs) are produced for certain buildings. They are needed when buildings are built, sold or rented, if they have a roof and walls and use energy to condition an indoor climate.

New EPC regulations were introduced in April 2018 and require all eligible properties to be improved to a minimum standard.

Buildings that do not need an energy performance certificate include:

  • Places of worship.
  • Temporary buildings.
  • Stand-alone buildings with a floor area of less than 50 square metres.
  • Industrial and agricultural buildings with low energy requirements.
  • Protected buildings, where compliance with energy efficiency requirements would unacceptably alter their character or appearance.
  • Rented dwellings that continue to be occupied by the same tenant since before 1 October 2008.
  • Buildings that are suitable for demolition.

EPCs are provided by accredited energy assessors who also provide a recommendation report to help owners and occupiers make their building more energy efficient, and may identify recommendations that could be eligible for Green Deal financing. There’s no requirement to follow the recommendations but it’s illegal to rent out buildings that do not meet minimum energy performance standards.

EPCs are valid for 10 years and they must be made available for hirers to see.  Visit energyperformance.co.uk and the government's own website for advice and guidance.