Caring for someone else's child

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Click here to read information on the status of Community Action Norfolk's Services. As well as links to other information and advice
This website uses cookies. You can read more about how we use your personal data in our Privacy Notice

Community Action Norfolk are sharing this from Norfolk County Council, please contact them directly with any queries.

Private Fostering

Somebody else’s child. Everyone’s responsibility.


Whether you’re looking after somebody else’s child, your own child is living with another family, or you know of a child being cared for by someone who isn’t a relative, we need to be told. When we’re kept in the picture, we can offer advice, support and protection.

What is Private Fostering?

When a child under the age of 16 – or 18 if the child has a disability – lives with someone who isn’t a close relative for 28 days or more it’s called Private Fostering, and, by law, Norfolk County Council needs to be made aware of the arrangement. To let us know about any Private Fostering arrangement, or to find out whether Private Fostering applies to your particular situation, please call 0344 800 8020 or pop along to  www.norfolk.gov.uk/fostering

Please find attached below guidance for children and for foster carers.